-61 CVP in a Modern Manufacturing Environment — A division of Hewlett-Packard Company
2-61 CVP in a Modern Manufacturing Environment A division of Hewlett-Packard Company changed its production operations from one where a large labor force assembled electronic components to an automated production facility dominated by computer-controlled robots. The change was necessary because of fierce competitive pressures.
Improvements in quality, reliability, and flexibility of production schedules were necessary just to match the competition. As a result of the change, variable costs fell and fixed costs increased, as shown in the following assumed budgets:
Old Production Operation New Production Operation
? Unit variable cost Material $ .88 $ .88
? Labor 1.22 .22
? Total per unit $ 2.10 $ 1.10
? Monthly fixed costs
? Rent and depreciation $450,000 $ 875,000
? Supervisory labor 80,000 175,000
? Other 50,000 90,000
? Total per month $580,000 $1,140,000
? Expected volume is 600,000 units per month, with each unit selling for $3.10. Capacity is 800,000 units.
1. Compute the budgeted profit at the expected volume of 600,000 units under both the old and the new production environments.
2. Compute the budgeted break-even point under both the old and the new production environments.
3. Discuss the effect on profits if volume falls to 500,000 units under both the old and the new production environments.
4. Discuss the effect on profits if volume increases to 700,000 units under both the old and the new production environments.
5. Comment on the riskiness of the new operation versus the old operation.
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.