Assignment 2: Library Research—Fusion Centers as a Law Enforcement Tool
Since the terrorist attacks against the United States on September 11, 2001, there has been a real push in local law enforcement agencies—especially large ones—to incorporate intelligence-led policing techniques.
A part of that strategy has been the creation of fusion centers in all fifty states intended to facilitate the sharing of police intelligence information between federal, state, and local agencies. Consider the Lambert (2010) article, “Intelligence-Led Policing in a Fusion Center” and the “US Government Accountability Office (GAO) Report on Fusion Centers” in the Webliography.
The creation of fusion centers and their operations have not been without controversy. Many civil libertarians have expressed concern that instead of focusing only on real threats, fusion centers encourage the government’s suspicion toward law-abiding citizens and groups that are suspected of potential hostility toward government.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper. In the paper:
- Take a definitive stand, with explanations, for or against the use of fusion centers as a local law enforcement tool.
- Discuss how these centers may be abused to violate citizen rights.
- Explain the difference between the cooperation that occurs through fusion centers and that through other kinds of multiagency activities, such as task forces and joint investigations.
- Identify and discuss the possible steps or policies to minimize concerns that some have raised about potential abuses.
Feel free to do additional research on the topic of fusion centers, beyond the reading that has been assigned to further improve your paper.
- Save the report as M4_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc.
- By Wednesday, February 3, 2016, submit your report to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Justified the stand for or against the use of fusion centers as a local law enforcement tool.||
|Analyzed and explained the potential use or abuse of fusion centers with regard to violating citizen rights.||
|Analyzed and explained the differences in cooperation between the fusion centers and multiagency activities.||
|Discussed the steps that the police may take to minimize concerns of potential abuses through fusion centers.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources; and displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.