a. Assignment 2: Responding to Technology Discussion
1a. Assignment 2: Responding to Technology Discussion
To those who transported goods with arms and legs, the wheel appeared to be high technology at one point in time. Today, technology is all around us—and we need to learn how to use the new technologies in ways that make our tasks easier. For this class, we will focus on digital information technologies we use for school and daily life.
Considering how different people use and respond to technology, answer the following questions:
- Describe how you use information in your daily life. Specifically, how do you use technology in your communications, whether at work, home, or school?
- How has the World Wide Web and accompanying technologies (cell phones, e-mail, social media, etc.) changed the way society works with, handles, and interprets information?
- Does computer ownership affect your ability to communicate?
Consider the following when answering:
- What is an operating system? What operating system is on your computer? (To answer this question, search for “operating systems” on the Internet. Based on the information that is displayed on the screen, identify which operating system is on your computer.)
- What is RAM? How much RAM do you have on your computer? (To answer this question, search for “system properties” within your computer system; this will tell you how much RAM you have in your system.) Can you update your RAM on the computer you have? (To find out this information, you can do either of the following:
- Visit the website of the company that made your computer and search for this information.
- Call a local store that sells computers and tell the executives there that you want to upgrade your RAM and you want to know if it is possible with the computer system you have.)
- What is software? What software packages do you have on your computer that will help you with college? (To find out about this, you can call a local store that sells computers and ask them to assist you in finding this answer. You can also look at the “Programs” or “All Programs” folder on your computer and list out the programs you have.)
You will need to do research outside of this course to justify, support, and expand on your response. Since we do not cover APA format until Module 2, you do not need to use any specific citation format, but you must identify where you found any information you use in your response. Use any format or style you wish for your citations.
Your initial response should be at least 150 words.
1b. Researching Scenarios By Wednesday, January 13, 2016,
Throughout the course of your academic career, you will be asked to conduct research to support the assertions you make in papers, presentations, and projects. Sometimes getting at the material you will need is fairly straightforward, while other times the research process forces you to get a little creative in seeking out (and finding) the types of source material that will be most useful to you. This exercise will allow you to practice conducting different types of searches.
Choose two of the following scenarios. For each scenario you choose, answer each component as clearly and completely as possible.
- You are writing up your weekly responses for your COM106 course and want to respond to a classmate who discusses the need to use social media in a job search. You are not familiar with this phrase.
- Describe what sort of search you would conduct to help you in responding to this student and why. What search engine(s) or database(s) might you use and why? What search terms? How would you go about evaluating the credibility of the information you found?
- Please share three search results you found after conducting this search that you think would be the most helpful in responding to your fellow student. Give a brief summary of the content of each source and describe why you think it would be appropriate to use in this particular context.
- You are going to be writing a research paper for your ENG101 class on a social issue of your own choosing. You know that you have always been interested in the role addiction plays in the problem of homelessness, but you are not sure what credible research is available to support this connection.
- What sort of search might you conduct to help you get the information you seek and why?
- A search that deals with multiple components sometimes requires a few tries to get at the appropriate information. What keywords or combinations of keywords might help you find the relevant information here? Be sure to include details regarding how you might represent these words within the actual search box (using quotation marks, “and,” “or,” etc.)
- Please share three search results you found after conducting this search that you think would be the most helpful in supporting this connection. Give a brief summary of each source and describe why you think it would be appropriate to use in this particular context.
- You are putting together a presentation on the benefits of sports in the lives of children for your PSY180 course. You think that your presentation would be much stronger if you were able to argue against some of the opposition to your point of view, although you are unsure where to find information that opposes your stance.
- What sort of search might you conduct to help you get the information you seek and why?
- How will you ensure that the sources you use are credible and reliable?
- Please share three search results you found after conducting this search that you think would be the most helpful in supporting the opposition’s point of view. Give a brief summary of the content of each source and describe why you think it would be appropriate to use in this particular context.
Compile your responses in a 2–3-page paper in Microsoft Word. Clearly cite your sources
2a. Paraphrasing Discussion By Saturday, January 16, 2016
This is a two-part assignment. First, you will use what you learned in the Module 2lectures to practice quoting, paraphrasing, and formatting in-text citations. Then, you will describe how to efficiently organize a large number of documents.
Read this article and write two paragraphs summarizing its content. (Please be aware that this article does not use APA formatting so do not use it as an example when you are developing your APA-style citations for this assignment.)
- In the first paragraph, use several quotations to highlight the main points of the article.
- In the second paragraph, use paraphrase only to highlight the main points of the article.
Remember to use APA-style in-text citations where appropriate in each paragraph. The complete reference entry for this article is below.
Tucker, J., & Courts, B. (2010). Grade inflation in the college classroom. Foresight: The Journal of Futures Studies, Strategic Thinking and Policy, 12(1), 45–53. doi:http://www.thecampuscommon.com/library/ezproxy/ticketdemocs.asp?sch=auo&turl=http://search.proquest.com/docview/224180072
A refresher about citing sources is available on the Academic Resources page under Course Home.
When you have finished your first two paragraphs about the article, consider the readings from this module and do the following:
- Describe an efficient filing system to store a large number of Word documents on your personal PC.
Your initial response should be at least 150 words. Each of your follow-up responses should be at least 50 words.
2b. Creating a Flyer by Tuesday, January 19, 2016.
Before beginning this assignment, you should thoroughly review Windows Explorer, File Management, Office Features, and Word Documents from your course textbook, Go! All in one: Computer concepts and applications.
For this assignment you will be creating a one-page flyer in a Microsoft Word document. The flyer will advertise the fitness activities for students at a college. There are two categories of fitness activities: Fitness Services and Intramural Sports. Please carefully read the paragraph below to understand the fitness activities on and off campus.
The Associate Students of Laurel College sponsors fitness activities. These take place both on campus and off campus. The activities fall into two categories: Fitness Services and Intramural Sports. Fitness Services are noncompetitive activities, with the most popular being Kickboxing, Jogging, and Aerobics. The most popular Intramural Sports activities—which include competitive team and club sports—are Field Hockey, Volleyball, and Basketball.
Create a one-page flyer that contains the following:
- A title that uses Text Effects
- A text description about the activities based on the fitness activities detailed above. Do not simply copy and paste this! Rework it to more clearly present the information in your flyer.
- A SmartArt graphic
- A picture of your choice or the w01K_Volleyball image.
- Text that wraps around the graphic and/or the picture to demonstrate the use of the Text Wrapping feature.
Don’t forget to spell check your work.
3a. Discussion: Communicating with Technology By Saturday, January 23, 2016
Describe in detail at least three instances during the course of an average week that you are required to organize, calculate, and interpret numeric data. If your average week does not generally include organizing numerical data, you may need to be creative with this part of the discussion! For each of the instances you describe, explain how the use of different technology tools might make these tasks easier and more accurate. Provide multiple examples of technology tools including:
- portable devices (cell phones, pocket calculators, tablets), desktop computers, computer networks
Discuss any ethical, legal, and security implications of using technology to create and share numerical data.
Use properly documented sources from this course or other valid outside resources to justify, support, and expand on your response.
3b. Expenses Worksheet in Excel by Tuesday, January 26, 2016.
Before beginning this assignment, you should thoroughly review Excel Worksheets, Charts, Formulas, Functions, and Tables from your course textbook, Go! All in one: Computer concepts and applications.
For this assignment you will use Microsoft Excel to develop a worksheet that details your personal expenses in at least four categories from the last three months. Some of these expense categories might include, but are not limited to, Mortgage, Rent, Utilities, Phone, Food, Entertainment, Tuition, Childcare, Clothing, and Insurance. (These numbers may be fictitious.)
Part 1: The Spreadsheet
- Begin by opening a new Microsoft Excel file. (You may use the template foundhere.)
- Save it as LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2
- Use Rows 1 and 2 for a title.
- Beginning in row 4, use column A to list your different expenses.
- Label the next three columns (B, C, D) for the past three months.
- Fill in the appropriate amount for each expense for each month.
- Beside the column with your third month’s entries, create another column for totals for each category.
- Use a formula to calculate a total for each category of expense.
- In the row below your last expense entry, create another row for the monthly totals of expenses.
- Use a formula to calculate a total for each month of expenses.
- Beside the column add another column for calculating the percent of the budget for each expense category.
- Use a formula to calculate the percent that each expense category is of the total expenditures.
- Format the worksheet by adjusting column widths and wrapping text, and by applying appropriate financial number formatting and cell styles.
Please Note: While some calculations might be easy to do in your head or using a calculator—merely typing the answer into the appropriate cell—the point of this assignment is to get you accustomed to using formulas. In situations requiring frequently updated data or more complex calculations, Excel is a very powerful tool if you know how to use it. Your grade is based on your demonstrated ability to use the required formulas.
Part 2: The Chart
Below your table of monthly expenses, you will create a chart using the numbers from your spreadsheet similar to the example below.
- Open the Insert ribbon at the top of the screen.
- Click on a populated cell inside your spreadsheet, then, click on Column on the Insert ribbon. Select the style of column chart you like.
- Click and drag your column chart into position below your spreadsheet.
4a. Getting the Word Out By Saturday, January 30, 2016,
Social media can be a powerful tool to help you get the word out to a wide audience in a relatively short amount of time.
- Imagine that you are organizing a fundraiser for a local charity. Explore the various social media outlets discussed in this module or that you are aware of from your own personal and professional use (examples include Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Instagram, etc.).
- Compose two announcements advertising the event to be posted on two different social media sites. The first should be geared toward your friends, family, and other social acquaintances. The second should be written for co-workers or professional colleagues or acquaintances.
- What types of media would you include in your announcements? Written, photographic, video, or audio? Would the same media be appropriate for both announcements? Where could you get this media? Is it OK to copy whatever clip-art you find on the web? Why or why not? Is it OK to use part of your favorite song? Why or why not?
- Discuss which social network site would be most appropriate for each example and explain why. Be sure to include a brief reflection on the differences in tone, style, and content of the two postings in terms of their intended audiences.
Your initial response should be at least 150 words.
4b. Researching Social Media By Tuesday, February 2, 2016,
We are all socially connected. Some of us like to be so more than others. Technology allows us to do this in a variety of ways.
In this assignment, you will learn to use a new technology that helps you become socially connected. This technology can take the form of instant messaging or an online network that gives you the opportunity to connect with businesses and organizations to develop your career.
Research online social networking tools and applications using your textbook, the Internet, and the Argosy University online library resources. Based on your research, do the following:
- Choose a tool for social networking that allows you to create a free account. The social networking tool should meet the following criteria:
- It is not a tool you have used before.
- It connects you with other people.
- It is open to the public.
- It does not promote offensive language or actions.
- It allows you to answer the questions for this assignment.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Yahoo! Instant Messaging: This tool allows you to instantly type messages to other friends or colleagues who are on Yahoo!’s Instant Messaging. It also has a number of other features, including video messaging.http://www.yahoo.com
- Skype: Skype’s free services allow you to call other people on Skype and video-conference with them over the Internet. You can also use Skype to call international cell phones or landlines at a highly reduced rate or to instant message. http://www.skype.com
- Google Hangouts: This app provides messaging, video calls, and voice calls from any device.. https://plus.google.com/hangouts
- Facebook: This social networking tool allows you to network with friends, family, and acquaintances. You can send them updates and let them know what is going on in your world. It has an instant messaging service also.http://www.facebook.com
- Twitter: This tool allows you to follow a variety of people and track the little things they say. You can also send messages to others who might follow you on Twitter. http://twitter.com
- LinkedIn: This tool is designed to help you connect with professionals in your industry. You can update your profile so others in your industry can know how you are progressing in skills and knowledge. http://www.linkedin.com
- Instagram: This tool helps you modify (“filter”) and share photographs, usually taken with a mobile device. http://instagram.com/
- Foursquare: According to its home page, this tool is supposed to help you and your friends find great places and make the most of your visits.https://foursquare.com/
- Research your chosen social media tool. Then, using scholarly evidence, answer the following questions:
- How can this social media tool be used in the workplace in a professional manner? Again, use search engines that will help you to answer this appropriately.
- How does this social media tool help you connect with friends or colleagues? Describe this with as much detail as possible. Look this up on the Internet if you need to, as you may not realize all of the ways it may be beneficial.
- What is a potential drawback of this kind of media?
- Describe the experience of participating in this exercise.
- Paste a screenshot of the social media account you just created in your assignment paper. Follow these steps:
- Log into the social media website where you created an account.
- From the logged-in page, press and hold the Alt key on your keyboard and then press the Print Screen key on your keyboard. (On some keyboards the keys are Fn and Print Scrn.)
- Display your assignment paper document. Click the mouse button in the area where you want to paste the screenshot. Hold down the Ctrl key and then press the V key. This will paste an image of your social media screen into your paper.
- Change the size of your screen print to be approximately 3 by 4 inches.
- Click inside the graphic; this will put sizing squares around your graphic.
- Move the cursor to a corner of your graphic until your cursor changes to a diagonal arrow.
- Click and drag the cursor towards the center of the graphic so that the graphic gets smaller.
- When the screenshot is approximately 3 by 4 inches, release the mouse button.
Write a 2 two- to 3 three-page paper in Word format (not counting title and reference page). Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Include an APA formatted title page and reference page.
5a. Destination Presentation by Saturday, February 6, 2016.
Before beginning this assignment, you should thoroughly review PowerPoint Presentation Creation; Enhancing Presentations with Pictures, Transitions, Objects, Backgrounds, and SmartArt from your course textbook, Go! All in one: Computer concepts and applications.
For this assignment you will use Microsoft PowerPoint to create a presentation about a place to which you have traveled or would like to travel.
- Begin by opening a new Microsoft PowerPoint file.
- Save it as LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.ppt.
- The presentation should include at least six slides that could describe the location, the method of travel, the qualities of the location that make it interesting or fun, the places you can visit, and any cultural activities in which you might like to participate.
- Choose an appropriate theme, slide layouts, and pictures to format the presentation attractively.
- Research the location and include properly cited (APA Style) material. Here is a great resource you can use to find information about places in the US and all over the world. (Be aware that the automatic citation generator for this site uses MLA style and not APA.)
- Add (copy and paste) a chart or graph you can create in Microsoft Excel. This could be a travel budget.
- Add (copy and paste) a table you can create in Microsoft Word. This could be a daily schedule.
- Include a References slide at the end.
5b. Discussion: What Have You Learned? By Sunday, February 7, 2016
Your new software skills will not be of much use if you do not see a practical application for the skills in your workplace and personal life. Without practice, remembering how to use the tools will be difficult. In this assignment, you will discuss different ways to use presentation software outside of the class.
Consider the use of presentations in your job and personal life. Respond to the following:
- Share two or three of the most valuable pieces of information or skills you have learned from this class. How would you use the different types of software we discussed? Are some tools better for some uses than others? Be specific and give an example or two.
- How do you plan to integrate these new skills into your future school and work experiences?
- Give an example of a situation where a presentation would help you communicate information to others.
- When creating a presentation, are there any legal, ethical, or security implications for what you include?
- Based on your module readings, explain how you could use visual tools (video, pictures, graphs, charts, etc.) to help to convey information in a presentation. How might your tone and method of presentation differ if you were communicating with a friend or family member as opposed to a co-worker or supervisor?
Your initial response should be at least 150 words
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]