Assignment 1: Using the First Person in Research Writing
The use of personal pronouns (I, my, or we) in scholarly writing is an area of great contention in academia. Some say that the use of personal pronouns is a way of asserting your writer’s voice. However, others will discount the use of personal pronouns as inappropriate.
Your course textbook (Ridley, 2008) suggests that one way to assert your writer’s voice is to use personal pronouns in your scholarly writings. Additionally, the APA Style Manual recommends using “I” rather than the third person. However, the use of personal pronouns is often discouraged in academic writings.
In this assignment, you will explore the pros and cons of using personal pronouns in research writing.
On the basis of the course readings and the literature that you have reviewed for this course, in a minimum of 200 words, post your responses to the following:
- What are the pros and cons of using personal pronouns in scholarly writing?
- Why would most academic institutions not permit the use of these pronouns?
- Do you agree or disagree with this perspective that institutions hold? Why or why not?
- By Saturday, January 9, 2016, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through Wednesday, January 13, 2016, read all your classmates’ postings and respond to at least two of them. Consider commenting on your classmates’ views about the use of personal pronouns in scholarly writing by adding to their points or challenging their perspectives.
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.